Thursday, February 23, 2023

Various games from King Con VIII

King Con VIII has come and gone so I wanted to get the last batches of pics up for people to reminisce and enjoy. Various games in this group.


Iuka, using The Rules Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned. Nice set up though.


The Federals block the road, taking the high ground closest to the Meeting House.


Johnny Reb also grabs a hill as dusk is falling.


This is just a great shot from an old camera. The Super Macro still does these guys justice,


Another good shot but for the floating roads. I really need to find decent roads that conform to terrain. Anyone know any?


Taking cover behind a stone wall.


Awaiting the Confederate onslaught that never came!


Wait, is that a hit? Did we do that right? The rule book says we did but the reference sheet says we didn't. Is that one hit? Or three? How many dice do I roll, wait, do I need orders to do that? Why is this chart different from what the rules say?


We got our orders, that's all I know. Just keep playing and I'm sure it will start to make sense once we get a turn or two in.


Can we see them? Why don't fences provide cover but walls do? How come there wasn't any Opportunity Fire on turn one? The rules are *where*? In a caption of an example and not in the body of the rules???


The perfect ending for The Rules Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned.


Sure looked pretty. Lesson learned: stick to Regimental Fire & Fury. Next time we'll play the game with real rules.


Also played some BattleTech. Alpha Strike maybe? I'm not sure but the rules are pretty fucking cool. My brother Chris set this up for me and JB and we played three way.


I'm not sure what happened or who was who or what robot is what. Just enjoy cool pics of Battle mechs that Chris painted.






I know I didn't win but I also know it was a heckuva lot of fun.


Finished the weekend with a game of Star Wars Legions put on by Natbud. I always wanted to play this game but shied away for two main reasons: one, the cost. I don't need another game where no matter how many units you buy, you still need one more! Second, I thought all the cards and markers were a bit off putting. I didn't want to have all that stuff to worry about.


Turns out I needn't have worried about the latter concern. The game is so intuitive that the cards were very easily assimilated into the fluidity of each turn. Surprising how little they affected or slowed down things.


The bad guys. Nicely Painted by Nat.


I hate these guys but aren't they pretty?


Everybody knows Storm Troopers can't hit anything.


Chewbacca's kill shit. They were tough.


Uh oh, the appearance of Darth Hoag ended any chance of the Good Guys getting away with a victory.


A final shot. That Green thing ate Luke but not before he wiped out an entire unit. It was actually very cinematic and I have never said that about any game, ever. The way he used all his skills and bonuses, you could actually imagine him charging in and sound of his light saber as he cut down an entire elite unit.

I like the game very much. As long as Nat keeps buying and painting the dudes, I'll keep playing.

Well, that's it for this year.. Hope you had some fun.

 

No comments: