Monday, February 6, 2023

Ravenna 1512

At our recent King Con get together over MLK weekend, we started with a game inspired by Ravenna, 1512. Truthfully,  it was more inspired by the desire to get many of these figs on the table. It just so happens that Ravenna checked many of the boxes I wanted: knights, artillery, light horse, landeschneckts, and arquebusiers,, to name a few.

I have tons of figures and not many were accurate for the forces they were supposed to represent, though many of them were; I just wanted to get them on the table.

We used an adapted version of Warmaster Ancients; a good rule set but a little more complex than we wanted or needed here. We simply trimmed off the ends and played a pretty solid game, using fan based rules for pikes and pike blocks. They worked very well.

Following is a few pictures without the tedious commentary for several reasons, most notably, I can't remember anything any more. Just look at the pretty pictures. We chose to start our battle after the historic artillery duel and just get straight into the fray.


Set up.


As you can see there is a wide range of minis. Many Essex, Museum, some Mike's Models and others I cannot even name. All painted through the years by me, with a few exceptions. These guys are sporting the cross of Pisa and the guy in the background has the Papal tiara and crossed keys, but most of the individual heraldry is invented,


The Popemobile, circa the 16th century. This is an old DBA camp but I've never used the mantlets and while it had no bearing on the game, I just wanted to put it out there.


Fancy pants French.


Museum miniature landeschneckts. I got these guy for ten cents apiece when the US distributor went out of bidness a while back.


I think the flags are Swiss. Who cares? They look cool.


The game had six players; each force slightly different to give them a choice of tactics. Some were more shooty, so more heavy troops some a mixture.


I wish I could remember where I got these lances.


Landeschneckt halbardiers. I just couldn't pass up putting these on the table. Figures like these wake up 10 year old me. It still gets me excited to see little soldiers like this.


Heavy lances jockey for position while avoiding the hail of lead and solid shot.


I like these guys, what can I say?


The push of pike!


Getting flanked is bad, mkay?


These halbardiers were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hey, there's some Mike's Models in there!


Get 'em! Easy for the arquebusiers to say after they melt back into the main unit.


Some final shots when we called it. Lookie how small the pike units are now on this flank! Turns out 14 foot pointy sticks hurt!


A final shot. I can't believe I didn't get on picture of any of the artillery, although you can see some organ guns in the pic above. Plus, I still managed to put in all the tedious commentary.

It was a decent game and a good way to get the ball rolling for the weekend. Anyone there remember who won?

The End.



No comments: