Sunday, June 16, 2019

First attempt at winter camo for AFV's

One of the things I have always loved are WW2 tanks modeled to look like they've been whitewashed for winter. I have also been very afraid to try it but recently thought, what the hell? The worst that could happen is that I primer over the failed attempt and paint the model again. So, I did a little research online; checking out different photos and even watched a video on some guy's process. (Which was insane; I'm just wanting to make models to play with, this guy was a professional modeler.) I'm not trying to win any awards, just not be embarrassed by what I put on the table.

Considering the debacle of my attempt at pea dot camo, I approached the project with a fair amount of trepidation. Armed with the minimum amount of knowledge, as is my MO, I forged ahead.


Here's the real deal. A Tiger 1. I picked this picture because it shows how they left the tank markings readable. Understandably, this is important but it had never occurred to me before starting this project.
Other old photos show how the whitewash would run off after rain and mud and weather took it's toll. That was the look I was going for.


Here's a pic of someone else's model showing some of the fading. This is a good example of what I wanted.


Here's my two attempts. Unfortunately, the pics don't quite pick up the whitewash too well. It looks a lot better in person, not so thin and uniform. I purposely made it more worn in places but it's hard to tell here. The markings and insignia are much more exposed than the rest of the cupolas but you can't tell in the photos.


So, a scary thing happened. I wanted to put the whitewash over another camo scheme so you could see it under the whitewash, but when I finished with the first part, I really liked it! I was afraid to paint over it and ruin it! I came this close to changing my mind and just leaving it as it was, but I'm glad I decided to carry on. I think the wheels are the best part.


The MkIV looks much better in real life.


I like big butts and I cannot lie!


I purposely wanted it to look 'sloshed' on. I read where often they would use a mop to apply the whitewash so I didn't want to paint it with a fine brush. I am happy with the way it turned out.


I really like the deck of the Panther, especially considering it was my first attempt.

Overall, I am very happy with the results. So much so that I have decided to do the same to one of my M4's and one of my T34's. Of course, the rabbit hole is I've already ordered troops in greatcoats because you can't have them in summer uniforms, right? And their bases need snow, right? Why does every idea I have cost me several hundred dollars? I will contemplate that question while I plan a Battle of the Bulge scenario; probably around Bastogne and Those Damn Engineers!

Bonus points if you know the significance of the marking numbers. (BTW, every number on every vehicle of mine save one has a specific meaning. The one that doesn't has 1's in it because I couldn't fit other numbers in the space. Haha.)

4 comments:

David Manley said...

Hmm, the numbers. Does 548 refer to the M548 load carrier, and 412 to the Bell 412 helicopter?

Nia Parillo said...

Hey David, sorry but that was mostly meant for my old gaming pals, though those are great guesses. The '548' refers to a storm trooper squad in Advanced Squad Leader and '412' is simply the area code for most of Pittsburgh. Nothing that exciting, haha.

Tony said...

Steve these look amazing. Like those guys who so those huge accurate set pieces as displays. The layering of colors and the camo looks so real!

Anton Ryzbak said...

Those are some darned good looking models!