Sunday, February 4, 2018

Frostgrave, Every Man for Himself

Met with real men this weekend to play games. First on the docket was a 4 way Frostgrave game of Chris' design. It took place above *and* below ground. There was a wyvern, treasure, and other monsters. It's not a city for the weak spirited. It was a very cool way to play with 4, with points awarded for getting away with treasure and killing other wizards and apprentices. I foolishly thought there may even be some co-operation, And I guess there sort of was: Chris and Nat co-operated in destroying my war band but that wasn't what I had in mind.

Remember that every piece of terrain, excepting the trees, was hand made by Chris. Awesome.


A shot of the whole table while Chris and Ogre pick schools of magic and starting spells. Chris put together 4 generic war bands with some magic items but each player assigned the items and chose their own spells.

There were also five possible entrances into the Undercity but only two of them were real. We placed them randomly, not knowing which were real and which were not. To find out, a member of your band had to get within an inch.

There were monsters down there.


A shot near my set up area. Given access to Chris' very large miniature vault, the game quickly took on a Warhammer feel as he played his Dark Elves, Ogre chose Chaos, Nat took dwarfs and I chose goblins.

The racial differences played no real part in the game except maybe the short guys were able to hide better. I wish I had taken a photo of each war band. Chris' figures are all awesome and playing with them is always a treat.


I love this picture. Taken from behind my right flank, it shows, from left to right, my apprentice, a goblin-at-arms and an archer. What's cool though is that if you look just above the archers bow, you can see a dwarf in a blue hoodie. Just a really cool line of sight! However, he moved off before the archer got a shot off. 


Some of Chris' Dark Elves slither through the city. In fact, this is the unit that decimated my left side and crushed my war band, chopping my wizard up like he owed them money.


I can't even tell who these guys are.


My ranger and crossbow goblin had great LOS to a lot of the city from atop this wall. In fact, it was from here that came the only half point we scored, when out of desperation, the archer fired into a melee and luckily (emphasis on luck), hit and killed Chris' apprentice.

I had several other great chances to stay in the game but my dice were abysmal against Chris. However, they were equally amazing against Nat on the other side thus proving that dice average out. I rolled nothing but 1's against Chris, nothing but 20's against Nat and 9's for everything else. (That's a lie of course. For some reason, I won initiative seven out of ten turns.)

Ogre and I never rolled an opposing die in anger.


Overhead shot. It's hard to actually pick guys out because the terrain is so good that figures actually 'hide' in the ruins. Decent LOS's are hard to come by. Also, Ogre quickly found an entrance to the Undercity and his entire war band, excepting a pesky archer, went underground. His figures were off the table in a series of rooms Chris had set up just out of this shot.


This is a great shot because, well, it is. What I like about it is that you can see the base of my wizard downstairs in the building in the foreground, hiding like any goblin with any modicum of sense would do. However he had cast 'Wizard's Eye' on the tower in the upper center, so that is where he could draw LOS from. Cool spell, lots of fun.

Eventually he moved to his left and went up the stairs to the far left second floor where he was cornered and filleted.

It was a close game between the three of them with Chris pulling out a narrow victory, including a point for murdering my wizard and getting several treasure tokens off the board. I *had* a treasure token once but Chris later found it under the corpse of my thief.

It was a great scenario for this very worthy game. A tip of the skull cap to the others as everyone played really well and had a great time.The barbeque'd ham didn't hurt either.

No comments: